Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to install Linux Mint or any other Ubuntu derivatives to dualboot with Windows
Kath asked me a few questions about installing Linux Mint, so I thought I'd write this guide for anyone who thought they might test Linux.

Step one: Download your .iso of choice.
Linux Mint
Ubuntu

Step two: Download Universal USB Installer.
Universal USB Installer

Step three: Get a USB stick of minimum 2GB. Normally an 8-16GB costs just a little bit more than nothing

Step four: Transfer the .iso to the USB stick with Universal USB Installer.
I didn't take any photos of this stage, but it's quite self explained.
1. Start the program.
2. Choose your Linux distribution in the drop down menu. (Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, etc)
3. Browse to where your downloaded .iso file is and chose it.
4. Select your USB stick. WARNING. Be very careful so you choose the correct drive letter.
5. Select [X] Format *:\Drive(Erases content). * is the drive letter of your USB stick. Example E:\drive or F:\drive
6. Don't bother with persistent file size for storing changes. We're gonna install this, not just keep it on the USB stick.
7. Press create. Wait until done, then press close.

Step five: Boot your computer from the USB stick.
This might be a bit tricky. Plug in the USB stick and press the start button of your computer. Repeatedly press the [Esc] button, [F1], [F2], [F12], [Insert] or [Delete] until you get a small menu where you can choose to boot from the USB stick. This could take quite a few windows starts until you find the correct button. On my laptop it was [Esc]. You might need to enable this in the BIOS settings. If you don't get this to work with the example buttons I mentioned. Try to search Google for "boot (brand of computer/motherboard) from USB" and you should get some help.

Step six: Double click the desktop icon saying "Install linux Mint(or Ubuntu, etc)".
[Image: DSC_0004.JPG]
Choose your language and click "Continue".

[Image: DSC_0005.JPG]
Choose your WiFi network and login, if you have a WiFi net. Press "connect"

Next is just an information page, click "Continue".
[Image: DSC_0006.JPG]

Now it's time to choose the installation type.
I installed Ubuntu 2 days earlier, so I got this page, where I took the choice of replacing Ubuntu.
[Image: DSC_0007.JPG]

However, you'd probably get something similar to what I got while installing Ubuntu.
[Image: DSC_0002.JPG]

Take the first choice of installing alongside Windows and press Continue.

[Image: DSC_0003.JPG]
In the most normal case. You have 1 single harddrive in the computer. And that's where you need to install Linux.(if you have multiple harddrives and plan to use whole HDD, just choose the one you wanna install on). Drag the white bar left and right until you get a good partition size.
I set mine to 100 GB for Windows and 220GB for Linux, since I use Linux more than I use Windows, but if you're only testing or haven't decided if you like Linux enough yet. Make a smaller Linux partition. I'd suggest at least 25GB or rather 50GB if you got the space.
Now press "Install"

[Image: DSC_0008.JPG]
So far you haven't done anything dangerous. But here a warning pops up, and if you continue, changes will be written to your harddrive. So well.. Continue, since that's what we want.

[Image: DSC_0009.JPG]
Where are you located? I pressed on the Canary Islands and got the correct time zone for me. Choose your place. Then continue.
[Image: DSC_0010.JPG]
What keyboard layout do you have?
Since I'm located in the Canary Islands, the installer automagically thought I use a Spanish keyboard, so I had to change it to Swedish, which is what's on my laptop. Choose whatever you use. English UK, German, etc. Unless you're in another country than the keyboard layout is for, it should have guessed correct. So press continue.
[Image: DSC_0011.JPG]
This is an important step.
Write your name, a name for the computer(for the network). Then you choose a username and a password.
I also marked the (*) Log in automatically button, so I don't have to write my password every time I login, though. Don't forget this password. It will be needed if you wanna do any administration of your computer. Install any program or do any updates.
Press continue.
[Image: DSC_0012.JPG]
YAY!!!

Time to reboot your computer and explore the wonderful world of Linux.

If any help is needed. Just post a question below.

Signing of Curse
[Image: style7,CrZDC-pls--pls-.png]
[Image: signsignature376502.jpg]
Thanks given by: